Friday 16 January 2015

Review: Succubus on Top (Gerogina Kincaid #2) by Richelle Mead

This is a review of the SECOND book in the series and while I'm mostly being vague it might be a little spoilery anyway. 

12384197I bought this right after I finished Succubus Blues, in May 2013, but then never got around to reading it, until now. If you want to read what I thought about the first book: Goodreads. I did not like Succubus on Top all that much, but that is mostly just me wanting something else, which I really can't hold against Richelle Mead or her main character Georgina. As the first book this is one dash mystery, one dash succubus sex, one dash romance and a whole lot of trying to keep your life sorted (even really old succubi have trouble in that department!). It is entertaining, fairly evenly paced and is resolved in satisfactory manner. It's a totally okay urban fantasy/paranormal romance/mystery story.

I still really like this universe, even more now that they've introduced other pantheons than Christianity. I just don't like the characters much, which isn't a requirement for a book to be good and/or enjoyable, but I spent too much time being annoyed at their choices and their behavior. This problem is entirely mine though, and I'm sure other readers will get a kick out of it. One of my gripes with the first book was that Georgina is thousands of years old (literally) and still acts like that isn't the case. In the first book she seemed clueless about everything that was going on regarding the mystery, and while she's better in this one I still don't get why a person who works at a bookstore (and loves books, and has a lot knowledge) don't know some of these things (I realize that it is for plot purposes). She's just exasperating sometimes. I don't much care for Seth either, and Bastien, well, what an ass. 

Another thing I didn't like was that there was too much relationship and to little mystery. The balance in the previous book was much more even, this one landed too heavy on the relationship side of things, which I'm also really not that into. Again, that's personal preference. The writing is fine, on par with the previous book, but none of the plot lines were all that interesting, I preferred the ambrosia one over the others, and that wasn't given a lot of attention. 


No comments:

Post a Comment