Wednesday 12 August 2015

Bout of Books 14

Well. It seems that all I do is readathons these days... This is not entirely true, but they give my otherwise meanigless life a point. So here we go again. Bout of Books 14.

Bout of Books
For those who do not know what Bout of Books is all about:
"The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, August 17th and runs through Sunday, August 23rd in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 14 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog." - From the Bout of Books team

My #1 goal, and the only one that really matters is: READ AS MUCH AS I WANT TO!

Of curse I have to have additional ones:

  • Like last time I want to finish (almost) everything I'm currently reading. Again I've got a lot. I found last time that it was really helpful, so I'm doing it agian. Allowing myself to have two books ongoing by the end (because that's my bare minimum you guys). This time none of the books were started in 2013 (one in 2014 though... Yep, still reading The Bone Clocks it is going to be top priority)
  • Read at least two hours a day (on average), that's 14 hours total.
  • Read a 1000 pages (which should line up with my time goal)
  • Be an active participant (update the blog, tweet, do challenges, comment etc.)
The last one is really vague, but in essence: Do something every day, preferably something that communicates with others and isn't just shouting into the void.

I'll be giving you the daily updates in this post (in order to not bore everyone who subscribes to the blog to death with my page count):

MONDAY
Books finished: You're Never Weird on the Internet (almost) by Felicia Day
Books read in/started: Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
time spent reading: 2 hours
Pages read: N/A because  I listened to audio for the most part, probably around 150 pages though. 


You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)
TUESDAY
Books finished: Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson,
The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver #1) by E. Lockhart
Books read in/started:
time spent reading: 5 hours
Pages read: 542


Amy and Roger's Epic Detour        The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #1)
WEDNESDAY
Books finished: -
Books read in/started: Death on Demand by Carolyn G. Hart
time spent reading: 4 hours
Pages read: 120


THURSDAY
Books finished: Death on Demand by Carolyn G. Hart
Books read in/started: The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
time spent reading: 3 hours
Pages read: 101


Death On Demand (Death On Demand, #1)
FRIDAY
Books finished:
Books read in/started: The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
time spent reading: 30 minutes
Pages read: 20


The Bone Clocks
SATURDAY
Books finished:
Books read in/started: The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
time spent reading: 2 hours
Pages read: 88

Road Trip Challenge:
London: Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf.
Paris: Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell
Amsterdam: Postcards From No Man's Land by Aidan Chambers (Set in & around Amsterdam)
Berlin: The Berlin Stories: The Last of Mr. Norris/Goodbye To Berlin by Christopher Isherwood

SUNDAY
Books finished: The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell, Vicious by V.E Schwab.
time spent reading: 3.5 hours
Pages read: 365

What to read next challenge:
1. My Life as a White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland. Perhpas not great literature, but certainly very entertaining zombie fiction! I really loved this book and the main character.
2. The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay. A lovely piece of standalone fantasy. The only book I've read from this author (so far), and I absolutely loved it. About love and war, in Spain-like lands, between several groups of people who want to take over.
3. How to Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran. Don't read this if you are offended by teenage sexuality, also don't assume it's all about that after the opening passage. It's not about  finding yourself, but about creating yourself, and my copy is full of tabs of things that rang so true I had to remember them or that were just beautifully written. It's funny and angsty, and if while it's a bit slow some parts stick with it. It is a decent coming of age story.


TOTALS:
Books finished: 5
time spent reading: 20 hours
Pages read: 1386

How I feel it went:
I read way less than I could due to a Leverage shaped hole in my time. I should have had someone I trust take my Netflix password away from me for the week... Next time (nah, never gonna happen).

I didn't participate in most challenges. I normally love the scavenger hunt one, so that was weird. I'm a bit lethargic recently, or you know, lazy as other people call it. That's probably it. I did do a few rounds on blogs (where I left comments), and I participated in the Saturday chat (so intense, but so fun) using our twitter account. So I wasn't entirely unsocial. So that's good too.

I'm so happy I finished The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell. I've been reading that since Oct/Nov 2014! Definitely time to get it off my "currently reading" list.

2 comments:

  1. A two hour a day reading goal is a great idea. Generally I think I can find about that much time to sit down and read so I might borrow your goal idea there. Happy B.O.B and Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had great success with that goal in the past, because it isn't tied up in number of pages or books you succeed if you manage to find the time, which for me is low pressure, but still extra effort.

      Thanks!

      Delete