Thursday 12 March 2015

Winger by Andrew Smith and the challenge jar

Winger by Andrew Smith

So, I really don't know what to say about this book. Maybe I can start with why I read it. I picked the challenge "Read a hyped book you are unsure you will like" from my challenge jar and this is the book I chose. 
I really didn't like it. I didn't hate the book, but I was right in thinking that it wasn't for me. I guess I know myself. The book wasn't horrible at all, and the author writes well, it's just that the subject matter of the book didn't interest me at all. I felt like nothing happened at all in this book, except for in the fifty last pages. This book has 439 pages, so it was a lot of pages without any action at all. On top of all this, the main character was very annoying. Sure, he is only 14 years old, but he was so juvenile, perverted and annoying to me and this book is written in first person, so we get to read all about everything that happens inside his head. 

While reading this book, it was okay. I wasn't enjoying myself and forgetting about stuff, I was really conscious of myself reading. And every time I put the book down, which I did a lot, as I wasn't that into it, I really, really didn't want to pick it back up again. Towards the end, it got so bad that I was moaning out loud every time I had to pick up my iPad. The fact that I was reading this on my iPad might have contributed to me not wanting to pick up the book, as I have a lot of headaches and reading on a glowing screen is no fun then, but I know I wouldn't have liked the book any better in any other format. I rated it two stars on Goodreads, as the book was written alright and everything and I don't think giving it a one star review just because it wasn't for me at all would be fair. After all, I went into this book pretty much expecting not to like it that much or be blown away. 

 March Challenge 

The challenge I picked out of my jar today, was to finis a trilogy I have already started. Okay, I have to admit that I kind of cheated, but the first challenge I picked was to read a non-fiction book, and I have just read a lot of non-fiction books and really don't want to read any more right now. So going with this challenge would be setting myself up for failure. So I picked another one. 
I decided to read this book: 
Allegiant by Veronica Roth

I have been putting of this book for a while, as unfortunately I got spoiled on the big thing. You know, that big thing that half the world got spoiled on. But it's time to finish this trilogy. 

Last month I also picked The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon from my tbr-jar, but I haven't gotten to that yet. The tbr-jar is not something I will be doing every month, just when I feel like it, so I'm not in a rush to read this book, but I will probably pick it up soon. I want to read some physical books now, as I have only read ebooks and listened to audio books so far this year. 

What are you reading at the moment? And if anyone has any good challenges for my jar, please leave a comment, as more challenges are fun to have. I think I will use my challenge jar for more than just this year. I quite like it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment