Sunday 14 October 2012

The Court of the Air by Stephen Hunt

Cover of the Court of the Air
The first book out for The Cat's Tale! Read October/November 2012!

Title: The Court of the Air
Author: Stephen Hunt
First published in 2007
Publisher(s): Harper Collins Voyager (UK) and Tor Books(US)
Genre: Fantasy
It is book #1 in the Jackelian series.

About the novel, as described on Goodreads:

When streetwise Molly Templar witnesses a brutal murder at the brothel she has recently been apprenticed to, her first instinct is to run back to the poorhouse where she grew up. But there she finds her fellow orphans butchered, and it slowly dawns on her that she was the real target of the attack. For Molly is a special little girl, and she carries a secret that marks her out for destruction by enemies of the state.

Oliver Brooks has led a sheltered existence in the backwater home of his merchant uncle. But when he is framed for his only relative's murder he is forced to flee for his life, accompanied by an agent of the mysterious Court of the Air. Chased across the country, Oliver finds himself in the company of thieves, outlaws and spies, and gradually learns more about the secret that has blighted his life.

Soon Molly and Oliver will find themselves battling a grave threat to civilization, an ancient power thought to have been quelled millennia ago. Their enemies are ruthless and myriad, but the two orphans are also aided by indomitable friends in this endlessly inventive tale full of drama, intrigue, and adventure.


What we expect/want from this novel:

Kristine: This is, as I understand it, a fantasy novel, set in a "Victorian-styled world" (x), which is a kind of setting that I really like. So I'm hoping that is well done, and my thoughts naturally wander to steampunk and that sort of thing, especially with the hot air balloon on the cover, but I don't expect a technology heavy novel or anything. I expect a mystery slowly being revealed. Why is Molly special? Why is Oliver framed? Who are the Court of the Air? I'm currently imagining airborne military, like an military air force, only you know, in hot air balloons and their likes instead of planes, or possibly a royal fortress floating about (okay, not really, but something royal or government related anyway). So many possibilities! I also hope for death and destruction.

Katastrofekat: Well, Kristine have pretty much said what I was thinking. I'm really into this kind of books lately, so I really hope it will live up to my expectations. Like Kristine, I don't think there will be much techy stuff here, but if it isn't seampunky in any way, I might be a bit disappointed. When reading the description, I was reminded of Phillip Pullmans His Dark Materials-series, and if this book is reminiscent of that, I think I will very much enjoy it. Looking forward to starting, so I hope my book arrives soon (that should teach my to not go for the e-book).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment